Friday, September 6, 2013

Cooch's attack ad misfires

If you run a dishonest
campaign, how can you
be trusted as governor?
This week the Cuccinelli campaign released a new ad attacking Terry McAuliffe, alleging that the Democratic gubernatorial candidate made millions when Global Crossings went bankrupt in 2002. The ad features emotional responses from three former Global Crossing employees. Two of those employees told Mother Jones magazine they were never told their (heavily edited) interviews would be used in a political attack ad in another state.

Deb Goehring, a former employee featured in the ad says she was asked several times about McAuliffe making money off Global Crossings. "I said I don't really know anything about Terry McAuliffe," Goehring told Mother Jones. "He was not involved in day-to-day operations in any way that I saw. As far as I'm concerned, he was like me, a stockholder, and he was able to make money at it. More power to the man. Good for him."

Also featured in the ad is former employee Corey Darrow, who seemed glad to tell her story about the impact of the Global Crossing bankruptcy, but feels mislead that the filmmaker never disclosed that it would be used for a negative ad, telling Mother Jones, "I'm kinda glad I got my story out there. What's it doing for me? I dunno," she says. "But I wish I would've known where it was going to be shown and when."

There is more at Mother Jones, including the background of how Cuccinelli's filmmaker misrepresented himself to take advantage of innocent people for political purposes.

No comments: