Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Where's my refund?

I e-filed my taxes a few weeks ago and used direct deposit, so I was curious... where's my refund? After all, my kids received their refunds in about 10 days. If you are in the same boat, there is a quick and easy way to get the answer. Just go to the IRS website and look for the "Where's My Refund" link on the right. All you need to enter is your Social Security number, filing status, and refund amount. The site is secure and the info is usually available 72 hours after your e-file is confirmed (longer of course if you file on paper). The results indicate an exact date you can expect a direct deposit.
Speaking of taxes, a great free resource for senior citizens and for low/moderate income taxpayers of any age is the AARP Tax-Aide program found all across the country. Well-trained counselors will prepare your forms and e-file most federal and state returns. In the central valley they have locations in Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, and Verona. Locate a site and find the hours of operation and other info here. There's absolutely no sense in handing over a hefty chunk of your refund to a paid preparer when AARP will do it right and do it for free.

No comments: