According to researchers at Oregon State University, some changes around your house can do big things for the environment. For example:
- Recycling newspaper, magazines, glass, plastic, aluminum, and steel cans: 19 tons of CO2 saved
- Replacing old refrigerator with energy-efficient model: 21 tons saved
- Replacing ten 75-w incandescent bulbs with 25-w Energy-efficient lights: 40 tons saved
- Replacing single-glazed windows with energy-efficient windows: 133 tons saved
- Increasing car's fuel economy from 20 to 30 mpg: 163 tons saved
Recycling is easy and free to do. The rebate and sales tax holiday can help with three of the bullets. You probably won't buy a new car this fall, but hopefully your next one will get at least 50% better mileage than your current one.