- Virginia $41,727 (8th highest in the nation)
- Charlottesville/Albemarle $45,275 (8)
- Winchester/Frederick $34,417 (33)
- Staunton/W'boro/Augusta $31,161 (49)
- Shenandoah Co. $30,340 (53)
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham $28,589 (65)
- Page County $25,166 (89)
Apparently, impressions can sometimes be deceiving. For example, with all the hustle and bustle around Harrisonburg many would think that region would be higher than the surrounding areas. One explanation is that the large student populations at JMU, EMU, and Bridgewater pull down the averages. If that's the case, where would Charlottesville/Albemarle rank without UVA students in the mix?
If you are a numbers geek, you'll be in heaven checking out all the details about personal income at the Bureau of Economic Analysis' BEARFACTS.