Thursday, May 21, 2009

Unsubscribe

The call was easy. The person who took it was polite and efficient, quickly finding my info and informing me of the amount of the refund. When asked why I wanted to unsubscribe from the newspaper, there was a muffled chuckle... or was it a gulp... to my words? My response was that I like the news and sports coverage in the Daily News-Record, but that the hateful editorials had bothered me for months. The double entendre in the title for today's editorial had, I said, crossed the line - it was trash. Trash for which I would no longer pay.
I believe in freedom of the press. I also believe consumers can and should vote with their dollars.

4 comments:

Truth-teller said...

Furthermore, it's one thing to pay for and read a newspaper with which you disagree editorially. That's being open-minded. But when that newspaper publishes garbage like that editorial and headline, then it's time move on. Good for you.

Progressive said...

I usually buy the Harrisonburg paper on Saturdays, but much of what's in it, especially on the editorial pages only pisses me off.

Jennifer said...

good work, I agree. I miss the local paper but I had to vote with my money- only power I have (and it is limited)

Anonymous said...

under the current editor the dnr has become a racist and reactionary rag. i didn't renew it.